Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Starting Over with a Downy

It's March already and I've not started a birds page for 2006. So I thought I'd give blogging a try. Later, I'll post a couple of images from January and February. I was so busy then that I hardly went out with the camera at all. Now that March is here, the weather has improved (dramatically) and I have more time available to pursure my hobby.

On Thursday, I was immediately lucky. As I emerged from the front door, I spotted a Downy on our little tree. It was availing itself of the feeder. Each time it found a sunflower seed, it would fly to the nearest branch and eat it there. Here are a couple of shots of the bird at the feeder:



Notice that is has a sunflower seed in its beak in that second shot. It was about to fly up to the branch. I did not get a good enough shot of the bird in flight to warrent posting it here.

Unlike many birds that visit our feeder, the Downy allowed me to get quite close. I was very pleased with this shot of the bird holding the seed as it attempted to consume it on the branch:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave - some excellent results, - great detail and colour. And well spotted.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home