Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Two Young Downy Woodpeckers

Disappointed with the picture I posted yesterday of the downy, I went out today intent on doing better. To my amazement, there were two downy woodpeckers on the tree, and both of them were obviously very young. The first one is a male, because you can see the red cap forming:



It was obviously nervous at my close approach, but it allowed me to get so close I was having trouble keeping it in the frame.



The other bird was smaller still. It has no red showing, but could be young enough that none has developed yet. It wouldn't let me get as close as the other. This shot suffers a bit from having been backlit.



Eventually, it came to the feeder and so I was happy to get this lovely shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home