Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Saturday, May 15, 2010

South Jersey Visit (part 2)

We decided to visit the zoo at Cape May County Park. It's an excellent zoo. We were greeted though by a flock of black-headed sea gulls. This was a favorite perch:



It wasn't long before another bird staked a claim to it:



They were flying all over the area:



And they were fearless, to the point where some people were literally terrified of them. I, on the other hand, took advantage of their proximity to get this close up:



We went into the zoo. I'm not a big fan of taking pictures of caged birds, but how could I resist these shots:



This was a second eagle in the same cage:



This is a caracara:



And this, a snowy owl:



Yet another female house sparrow posed for me, this time in a more natural setting:



I was really pleased to see that there was a pair of wood ducks in one of the ponds. This is the female, first in the water and then on the land:





And here's her partner, similarly in the water and on the land:





Over by the bear cage, there were a number of crows who seemed to particularly like the bear's food. I was quite pleased with this shot:



We stopped at Smithville on the way home and there were a few birds there. This cormorant was the first to catch my eye:



There were more black-headed sea gulls:



This was the most surprising bird of the weekend. When I first saw it, I thought it was plastic it was so immobile:



There were young Canada Geese goslings who were a big hit with the young children:



Just as we were about to leave, I spotted this egret:



But, as I tried to get to a more advantageous angle, I spooked it and it flew off past the fountain:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home