Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Sunday Walk in the Park

We went to take part in a nature walk at Joe Palaia Park. The weather never cooperates on these events. Today, it was too hot. And anyway, the focus was on vegetation and soil. Not my cup of tea! Still, no visit is complete without taking a look at the osprey nest atop the southern of the three radio masts. It's 165 feet up, so here's another reason why I'd like to have a 500mm lens:



The area we were in is one where a fairly large number of redwing blackbirds can usually be seen. Today, we could hear them but hardly see them. This is as good as it got:



And there on the grass were grackles and catbirds! But alass, while I got this great shot of a grackle (except you can't see its legs), the shots of the catbirds were all out of focus; the camera was confused by the proximity of a dandelion.



Even I'm saying "Enough with the robins!" But this shot is almost definitive! The original is 2560x1440. If only you could see its feet.



As I made my way home from the park, I walked towards the library in an avenue of evergreens that provided shelter from the strong sun. And there, I spotted this young-looking mourning dove on a tree branch:



This was the highlight of my afternoon! A chipping sparrow. There were three of them at the base of a tree just outside the library on Deal Road. I usually see chipping sparrows about once or twice a year, so this was special. Unlike house sparrows, they'll allow you to get quite close before taking flight.



This tufting of the orange feathers is something I've never seen before. Perhaps it was fearful of my approach and so it was trying to puff itself up:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home