Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Great Crested Flycatcher

We have a municipal golf course in town. After my session with the red-tailed hawk at the church, I went out again looking for black-crowned night herons at the water behind the Methodist Church office on Wickapecko. I didn't see any. So I decided to take a look at the golf course. I introduced myself and expressed interest in the possibility of taking bird pictures on the course. They pointed out that not all golfers have pinpoint accuracy. But John offered to give me a ride in a golf cart to see what we could find. It was quite late in the day and it was still overcast. At the 8th tee, I heard a bird call I didn't recognize. It was a harsh, abrupt call repeated three times. I spotted the bird making the call. There were two of them, but only one posed for the camera.

I did not recognize the bird. But thanks to "Birding nut" at the Garden Web Bird Watching Forum I now realize that it is a Great Crested Flycatcher. While researching the bird in Sibley's, we'd skipped over flycatchers because the size didn't seem to fit. This bird appeared to be much smaller than the 8.75 inches attributed to it by Sibley's, but I think perhaps we were overlooking the length of its tail.

Also, Sibley's suggests much brighter colors that we see here, but remember that these shots were taken in the gloom of early evening on an overcast day in the shadows of a glade of trees.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home