Wanamassa Birds

I frequently stroll the streets of Wanamassa, NJ, with camera at the ready to take pictures of birds.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ocean, New Jersey, United States

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sparrows

You'd think that sparrows would be easy to photograph -- there's so many of them. But actually it's hard trying to get a really good shot. I've taken some sparrow pictures, this week, but none of them will knock your socks off:



That song sparrow was in a neighbor's front yard. It wasn't about to let me get very close.



While this song sparrow was on the feeder. I took this picture through the very long lens from the top of the front steps. I was hoping to be able to get another shot using my normal setup to compare the quality, but so far the birds have not cooperated.

This house sparrow shot was taken from the other side of the feeder, and the bird was moving its head, hence the slightly fuzzy look. Still, it shows what will be possible when the right moment arrives:



Finally, another song sparrow in another neighbor's front yard. This one was perched here for just a few seconds. I had to move quite quickly to get to a halfway decent angle; even then, I had to help this shot some after the fact in Photoshop:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a bird expert, but isn't this a female finch? I get sparrows & a ton of other birds at my feeders, and this bird is always w/ the male House Finch at the finch feeder... Maybe it's a different size then the ones I see-I'm just going be the freckled belly!

I was wondering if you knew what it looked like when sparrows mate. I have a video of a male & female sparrow in a tree, the female is on the branch & she's sticking her tail feather way up in the air & flapping her wings really fast & then the male flies up & presses his what would be private area against her butt- any idea what I saw?? My email address is amydeery@yahoo.com - thank you!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Dave Saunders said...

No, the female finch is different. We used to get a lot of house finches here a couple of years ago, see:

http://www.wanamassa.us/prevphotosite/wildlife/housefinches/O6040004.html

Use the arrows in the banner to view the other pictures. The female housefinch doesn't have the dark spot on its breast.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me and my friend were in her backyard when we found a hurt, drowning bird in her pond. We called the SPCA, who then came to take the bird. We were wondering what type of bird it was. Maybe some sort of sparrow?? It was about 12cm long, small pointy-ish beak, brown and a little white feathers and long-ish feet/toes. We were wondering if there was a kind of sparrow that matches the description. Email me at katheri11@hotmail.com . Please email.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a short video of one. Took many hours just to get the one for a short time http://fwd4.me/KtQ

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
Nice photos! I'v been trying to do that for about a year now and no such luck. I only had two or three that you can tell are birds! :)

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ~

I have finches and they are smaller. Even though finches may come in different colors and so on.

In the rather bad storms we had,I heard a noise hit my home and went to see. It was the same photos that you have. Poor thing barely moved but come morning it was perched on the home i made.

It is definitely a sparrow

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home